Re: All season spray oil

At 03:53 PM 02/08/2001 EST, Loripurdy@cs.com wrote:
>On HGTV I saw heard directions to make your own all season oil. I think it
>was 1/4 C. vegetable oil + 1/4 C. liquid soap added to one gallon of water
>and mix.
>
>Is that correct?

Lori:

The formulation may well be "correct," but this concoction will be death to
your plants. Don't do it! Both the vegetabe oil and the liquid soap
exacerbate the action of the sun's ultraviolet rays to break down the
plant's vascular tissue, and all you'll have in the garden is stir fry.

If you need a horticultural oil, then buy a horticultural oil.  Practice
good integrated pest management, which first means identifying the insect or
disease problem you are trying to control, and then selecting a least-toxic
means of controlling that particular problem.  REMEMBER THAT THERE IS NO
SUCH THING AS A ONE-SHOT, COMPREHENSIVE CONTROL!

If you're anticipating a particular problem in the garden this year, then do
some research before you apply anything at all; there may well be a physical
or cultural solution to the problem that won't require a chemical
application at all--and even this homemade remedy is a chemical!  Post your
question here and I'll be happy to help, or call your local Cooperative
Extension Service office for advice specific to your part of the country.

Hope this helps,

Dawn

Dawn M. Ripley
County Extension Agent for Urban Programs
Cooperative Extension Service, Jefferson County
8012 Vinecrest Avenue, Suite 1
Louisville, Kentucky  40202-4690

(502) 425-4482

dripley@ca.uky.edu