How can i create my own community garden?

My name is Haydee
I was born in Puerto Rico and was very use to the out doors now I am 55 years
old and really in such a fast paced city there aren't really many things I
enjoy doing. I live in an apartment and have many plants all in the house,
and it has started to get on my husbands nerves since we cant even look out
our windows anymore cause I have all the windows occupied by plants and
flowers that I have bought from different places I have been to.
I guess what I am trying to say is that I enjoy gardening very much and
living in an apartment I really cant enjoy it. But I am interested in
starting a community garden and I have no idea how but every time I see these
ugly empty lots I wonder how I can get a permission as in to I turning one of
these lots in the Bronx into something worth looking at and at the same time
enjoy and entertain myself gardening.