RE: history

In Hungary or not, there are serious karmic consequences to taking our words
of wisdom without joining the American Community Gardening Association
C'mon, it's only $25 US ( the price of chinese takeout for two in NYC with a
couple of beers) and you don't get these nightmares about Jack Nicholson
chasing you with a shovel.;)))

Here goes nothin'

1) Jane Weissman's  oral histories ( "Tales from the Field") are
indispensible NYC source material. Contact Green Thumb or Jane Weissman
about them.

2) You will make pilgrimages to the Pennsylvania Horticultural Society in
Philadelphia, the Green Thumb & the Green Guerilla's archives in NYC as well
as contact every sitting and past board member of the ACGA for both oral
reminiscences and leads to messy file cabinets all over the US. You will
make a formal request to do research the archives of the Trust for Public
Land from California ( San Francisco to the New York Island.)

3) You will find the links to European Community Gardening organizations in
the archives of this listserve and contact all those nice community garden
organizations, allotment garden and recreational types.
Always a friend to the community of scholars, why don't you go into the
American Community Garden website, The Canadian City Gardening website and
the archives of this listserve and play click and print on all the leads you
think will work for you?

4) If you have access to a high speed internet connection, why don't you ask
it  questions, phrasing it differently each time on a search engine of your
choice ( I like Netscape.) It's amazing what the box coughs out.

5) For style , seriousness and documentation, Prof. Jane E. Schukose's
article, "Community Development Through Gardening: State and Local Policies
Transforming Urban Public Space" (NYU Journal of Legislation and Public
Policy - Vol. 3 #2 1999-2000) is an exemplar. Agreed, it reads like a law
journal article, but hell, why not do it right? You might even have a
publishable book to show for it at the end of the process!

Wax on comrade!

Best wishes,

Adam Honigman