Recipe for Vertical Aquaponics

  • Subject: [cg] Recipe for Vertical Aquaponics
  • From: Bagelhole1@aol.com
  • Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 14:44:48 EST

Dear Fellow Gardeners,
    I sent in recently that our experiments with "vertical gardening", the
cutting edge way to grow  organic food perhaps, in the world is coming along
nicely. I really wish that you take notice and consider building one in your
garden or anywhere there is sunlight. I will paste the instructions here,
there is a photo at www.bagelhole.org homepage, and I will be happy to advise
or answer any questions as it is our intention to see these proliferate on a
grand scale. I should hope that those on this list-serve be the pioneers in
this. So far there has been very little response, which is puzzling.

                            Recipe for Vertical Aquaponics

The small vertical aquaponics is 3'x3'x6 1/2' high. The water is 1 and 1/2'
deep at the bottom. There are goldfish and water hyacinth and some floating
seaweed for the fish to eat. This size accommodates 100 upside down  2 liter
plastic pop bottles with their ends cut off (at the indentation about 2
inches from the end) , filled with shredded bark, the growing medium, a
handfull of clay balls or stones to facilitate the flow of water, and a piece
of screen to keep it all in place, from flowing thru the neck of the bottle,
hung by wires and s hooks (2 holes need to be drilled about 1 inch below
where the end was cutoff, and 2 holes thru the neck for the wires to go
thru), which can hold 4 to 20 plants each. There is a heavy piece of plastic
stapled at the bottom to hold the water in. A pump, which cost about $60 to
pump up the 6 1/2" thru the 1/2 " tubing. A timer (about $80)  is set to run
about every eight hours for about one minute, to keep the growing medium
damp, not saturated, and never dry. All it need is plenty of sunshine. You
can be growing 400-1000 plants all the time.

The fish excrement provides the nutrients for the plants, the bacteria in the
roots of the plants cleans the water, the floating water plants helps clean
the water and feeds the fish. All you have to do once you have built it is
monitor and harvest. This is the small version. It can be any size.