WCG Position Announcement

  • Subject: [cg] WCG Position Announcement
  • From: "Ginger Ogilvie" <community@wasatchgardens.org>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 12:53:45 -0700

Greetings. I'm heading off to Santa Cruz in April to participate in the
CASFS Apprenticeship Program this summer. Anyone want my job? I'm attaching
the word document and copying info below. Thanks for spreading the word, and
please feel free to contact me directly with any questions.

Wasatch Community Gardens
Job Description: Community and Volunteer Coordinator

40 hours/week, flexible schedule, some evenings and Saturdays during growing

B.A. in social services, outdoor education, volunteer coordination or
related field
Motivated and organized with a sincere desire to work with inner-city adults
from a variety of ethnic and socio-economic backgrounds
Flexible, energetic and hard-working; Able to adapt to changes in gardeners
and gardens
Knowledge of databases and bookkeeping skills
Knowledge of sustainable gardening methods beneficial - must be willing/able
to learn basic gardening skills quickly
Ability and desire to work outdoors

Coordinate Community Gardening Program
·	Act as WCG liaison for all community gardeners—handle all gardener
·	Coordinate Garden Stewards
·	Provide educational opportunities for gardeners
·	Coordinate gardener registration (respond to inquiries, assign plots,
contact gardeners)
·	Plan and conduct orientations, work projects, and general garden meetings
·	Increase community involvement in program by attending community council
meetings making presentations to civic groups, church groups, etc.
·	Recruit gardeners for our 4 gardens each year as space is available
Maintain Water Systems and Common Areas
·	Turn the water on in the spring and off in the fall
·	Repair leaks and damaged lines, maintain supply of irrigation repair
·	Coordinate common area improvement projects, ensure that garden common
areas are well-kept
Coordinate Volunteers
·	Schedule and lead volunteer projects
·	Recruit volunteers from universities, high schools, corporate and
community groups
·	Assist with volunteer trainings
·	Collaborate with Youth Program Coordinator and other staff to meet
volunteer needs
·	Assist with annual Plant Sale fundraiser, Tomato Sandwich Party, and
annual Fund Drive
Coordinate Outreach Efforts
·	Act as main community contact for helping new community and youth gardens
get started in the valley
·	Prepare and send all materials from Wasatch Community Gardens to
prospective gardens
·	Conduct site visits and attend initial meetings for clients
·	Track all inquiries and maintain contact with ongoing clients

Salary & Benefits
·	Salary is $23,500
·	Health care is available

Send cover letter and resume to “Community & Volunteer Coordinator Position”
at the address listed below by March 2, 2002.

Ginger Ogilvie
Community and Volunteer Coordinator
Wasatch Community Gardens
345 East 400 South Suite 204