Re: Call for AAAAAAAAAAQhBZYx...

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Call for AAAAAAAAAAQhBZYx...
  • From: "Jim Call" jimcall@casagarden.com
  • Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 18:57:24 -0600

Call For Papers

24th Annual

American Community Gardening Association

National Conference

Easy Being Green?

Thursday, July 31 - Sunday, August 3, 2003

Downtown Chicago, Illinois

The American Community Gardening Association (ACGA) is a non-profit
organization of professionals and volunteers who seek to promote community
gardening and greening to improve the quality of life.

The ACGA national conference gathers people from all over North America and
other parts of the world who are engaged in all aspects of gardening and
greening to learn from each other. The conference will include hands-on
workshops, keynote speakers, panel discussions and visits to Chicago's
botanical sites, schools, and community gardens. In a city with rooftop
gardens on City Hall and a long history of well-endowed parks, we will
explore the political, infrastructural, horticultural, educational, and
community elements needed to meet the challenges of "Being Green."

Dynamic Presenters Sought Who Are:

Horticulturists, landscape designers, architects, arborists, contractors

Community gardeners, open space advocates, leaders, organizers

Government and non-profit personnel in parks, planning, environment, youth
development, conservation

Teachers, young people, program educators

Advocates for community food security and local food systems

Please log on to www.communitygarden.org to submit your proposal

To mail you proposal instead, please send it to the address below

Proposals must be received or post marked by February 22, 2003

Marti Ross Bjornson

GreenNet: Chicago's Greening Network

m-bjornson@nwu.edu

Garfield Park Conservatory

300 N. Central Park

Chicago, IL 60624-1945

USA

Phone: 773-251-7515

For additional conference information visit our website at
www.communitygarden.org.

Proposal Requirements

Proposal narrative 300 words or less, including the following:

Main points and goals of your presentation or workshop

Detailed description of what participants will learn

Examples of the interactive nature of your presentation or workshop

Biographical sketch of each presenter no longer than 75 words

Description of presentation for conference brochure no longer than 50 words

Resume or curriculum vitae (optional)

Additional documents to support proposal (optional)

If your proposal is accepted, the description and biographical sketch may be
edited and included in the conference brochure.

Presentation Format

Papers: Suggested presentation length is 45 minutes to one hour. Highest
priority will be given to engaging, hands-on, experiential, panel and team
presentations, and participant-inclusive discussions. Limited outdoor
workshop space will be available.

Posters: Full or half tables or wall spaces are available for poster
presentations. Maximum width is 8 feet. 18 point or larger type is
recommended for all poster text. Poster presenters are required to person
their display during the designated time.

Pre-Conference School Garden Workshop: 25-minute overview-demonstrations or
2-hour hands-on workshops on plant-based, standards-linked curricula are
encouraged.

Evaluation of Proposals

The ACGA program committee evaluates proposals on five criteria: overall
quality, relevance to the theme, clarity of focus, degree of potential
audience engagement, and practical applicability.

Presentation Themes

Researchers and practitioners are encouraged to use the following themes or
related topics.

Art and Culture: community-designed public art in the garden, ethnobotany,
multicultural projects, spirituality in the garden, arts programming

Community Food Security: animals in the garden, cooking from the garden,
farmers markets, food preservation, local food systems

Economic Development: garden micro-enterprises, workforce development,
economic impacts of gardens and open space

Municipal, County, State and Federal Greening Programs: defining green
infrastructure, land-use planning, setting public policy, public-private
partnerships, watershed management, technology, remediation

Horticulture and Ecology: habitat conservation, stewardship, greenhouses,
intergenerational gardening, integrated pest management, non-traditional
spaces, organics, horticultural therapy, edible landscapes

Organizational and Community Development: staff development, coalition
building, organizing, fundraising, in-kind resources, media, networking,
volunteer programs, event and recreational programming

Sustainable Systems: energy and resource conservation, transportation, solar
energy, wind, composting, rain-water collection, rain gardens

Youth and Adult Education: school gardens and partnerships, teacher
training, curricula, youth-led presentations, environmental education and
action, job training

24th Annual Conference of the

American Community Gardening Association

Easy Being Green?

Downtown Chicago, Illinois

Call for Papers SUBMISSION FORM

Proposal Deadline: Emailed or Postmarked by February 22, 2003

Use this form only if you are unable to use the form online at
www.communitygarden.org

Please Note: Regretfully, ACGA is unable to provide presenters with
financial compensation. All presenters are expected to pay conference fees
as well as provide for their own lodging, transportation and meals.
Presenters are also expected to provide sufficient quantities of handout
material for all workshop attendees.

==================    End of Call For Papers Documentation