Adam's message

  • Subject: [cg] Adam's message
  • From: Don Boekelheide dboekelheide@yahoo.com
  • Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2003 12:18:09 -0800 (PST)

Hi, Adam and all,

Thanks for your post, Adam. Last night, my wife Nan
(who grew up in Morgantown, WV) read Byrd's speech to
me, aloud. He pretty much nails it, in my opinion.
This morning, Nan and the kids went to a rally against
the war here in Charlotte - meanwhile, I was across
town, helping an inner city neighborhood get a
community garden up and going for this coming spring.
Saddam is a horrific dictator, but we are not going to
rid ourselves of such evil by resorting to bombs. The
idea that we'll gallop into Baghdad as liberators and
set up this wonderful democracy 'for the Iraqi people'
- well, haven't community gardeners run into that
attitude before? How well do gardens do when they are
'set up for the community' by outsiders, even those
with the best of intentions?

Sorry, George, it doesn't work.

btw, I still owe Jack a reply to his post on treated
wood and priorities. You bet peace (with justice)
needs to be everyone's top priority these days. I
showed the ACGA video today - isn't that your voice,
Jack, making some key points? The video is a great
organizing tool, it really motivated folks to move
ahead with their garden.

Anyway, thanks for your post, Adam.

Don Boekelheide
Charlotte, NC