back on topic - a gardener's question

  • Subject: [cg] back on topic - a gardener's question
  • From: Don Boekelheide dboekelheide@yahoo.com
  • Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 05:25:13 -0800 (PST)

Here's my question (thanks bwt for the Breslin piece,
Adam. That's one tough independent veteran
newspaperman talking, too. Remarkable column.)

Community gardens grew from two quite different 20th
century roots - the 'victory gardens' of the World
Wars, and the ecologically-minded 'grow your own'
vacant lot gardens of the 60s and 70s. Today, in the
21st century, community gardens are 'common ground', a
meeting place.

Is there something we all can grow this season, as
gardeners and as community gardeners, to bear witness
for peace? Of course, our whole gardens are
testimonies to hope and regeneration. But is there
something specific, to cast a little light in the
darkness of war?

Like a circle of sunflowers? Or...?

Don Boekelheide
Charlotte NC