Coffee in the Garden & Representation

  • Subject: [cg] Coffee in the Garden & Representation
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 11:26:34 EST

In a message dated 2/19/03 8:44:07 AM Eastern Standard Time,
gfcp@mindspring.com writes:

<< On talk radio here in Penna. a man reminded the listeners that if they
 wanted to plan any changes it begins with who is in the municipal, county
 and state offices.  The three weeks to gather signatures on your petitions
 to be on the ballot in the primary began a few days ago here in Penna.
  If a community gardener sits as a city council person or county
 commissioner, your requests for land use will be given a fair hearing.  Our
 primary is in May.  Check the League of Women Voters web site for the
 process in each state and please realize that you won't have to go a begging
 for the right to grow food if you are the elected official making the
 decision >>

When you design your gardens, in might be a good thing to have a nice area
with a lawn, perennials, a few benches and a space that accommodates about
100 people for a picnic, religious service or a harvest fair where the
neighborhood can meet.  The Clinton Community Garden's neighborhood wanted at
least half of our third of an acre space dedicated to our lawn and plantings,
so we created that first.  Then we built raised beds for gardeners on the
western and southern parts of the garden, called the back garden.  While we
have 108 back garden plots and several volunteer beds in our "front garden",
it is the public front garden that gives us political influence beyond our