ACGA Creation Story Needed, Pronto

  • Subject: [cg] ACGA Creation Story Needed, Pronto
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 17:42:48 EST

Dear ACGA Mothers & Fathers  -

I have a talk to give in Brooklyn next month on the ACGA at the Brooklyn
Botanic Garden as a panel member or a presenter ( it ain't solidified yet.)
While I have chapter and verse on the organization as it stands now, and what
we're doing in NYC & nationally, I need to tap into some institutional

I'll be talking about some of the early days of CGing in NYC and Brooklyn,
the Congressman Fred Richmond steambath story (the clean one where he gets
Federal funding for community gardening added to an agriculture bill by a
hard drinking Southern colleague - a classic case of horse trading. "Gee
Congressman, I might be able to get my Brooklyn constituents to support the
bill, if the had a chance to know how hard it is to grow a tomato." )  Good
things done in the real world by less than perfect human beings....

Institutional memories, please help me out!  I know that  American Community
Gardening Association (ACGA) was founded in 1979 to help gardening programs
share their limited resources, and benefit from each other's experience and
expertise. The only founding mother I know who at the Washington, D.C meeting
at  the inception isTessa Huxley, wjp, else?  Zeus, Paul Bunyan - I need to
get information on the first convention creation myth. ;)  If at all
possible, I would like to please get my hands of I can on some minutes,
memoranda or stories that I can share with  about the ACGA - "The First
Generation" .

Thanking you in advance for your cooperation,

Adam Honigman

P.S.  Also, after the ethics investigation, what ever happened to Brooklyn
Congressman Fred Richmond?  He really should have a community garden named
after him - he may have screwed up elsewhere, but he really helped the
movement out a great deal.  I mean guys like Thomas Jefferson weren't saints
either - attention should be paid.  Wasn't there an ethics issue with George
Washington and that cherry tree?  We didn't change the name of the Clinton
Community Garden because of Bill, did we?  If anyone had the dope on Fred
Richmond, please share it with me?

Please forward what you have as a  word attachment or cut and paste it in an
e-mail to Adam36055@aol.com.