RE: Gardening AND French Ministry of Foreign Affairs

  • Subject: RE: [cg] Gardening AND French Ministry of Foreign Affairs
  • From: melanieblandford@netscape.net (melanie blandford)
  • Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 17:27:45 -0500

Dear Paco,

I appreciate your invitation for consideration of the relationship between gardening and politics.  Having been a recipient of this list serve for roughly 6 years, I too have noticed this debate on presenting the listserve with off topic subjects, yet have never felt the need to respond in offense, until today.

I am not disagreeing with your viewpoint on gardening. I believe it is impossible to garden and not reflect on our species impact and innate connection with the world. Yet, I would invite consideration of the connection between the ability to be a "professional community gardener" and the stability and safety of the community in which you live that has been provided by the millions of American blood sacrifices paid in the "violent paradigm" to which you speak. In my opinion, our discussion isn’t so much about the relationship between community gardening and politics, as the relationship between community gardening and your (or others) political ideology.

I am curious to know whether those who intend to write in support of the French Ministry will also be supporting the French militaristic impact in Africa. Or for that matter their support of Mugabe (President of Zimbabwe) in the EU, who as we speak is destroying some of the largest African wildlife preserves? Just a thought…

All the best,
Melanie