Re: Growing edibles on streetsides

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Growing edibles on streetsides
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 15:13:50 EST

Ms. Coven,

Your garden may be in a nicer place than the community gardens where I have been digging and growing over the last 30 years in Manhattan, or have a variety of street life that differs from what  we we have in  the Big Apple.

However....

As long as there are people walking dogs, motorists emptying their detrius by the curb (garbage, motor oil, etc) and male humans who wish to exrete the beer they have been drinking - also known as, "watering the plants," - prudent gardeners plant the food growing sections of the garden away from where these activities may occur.

You have to ask yourself, honestly, would I feed myself, or my child veggies from this plot, or let garden in it without gloves.

While my comments are based on empirical observation, and not scientific study, they may be useful to your planning group.

Respectfully,

Adam Honigman
Volunteer,
Clinton Community Garden

Subj: [cg] Growing edibles on streetsides