Re: Growing edibles on streetsides (Valor tempered with discretion)

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Growing edibles on streetsides (Valor tempered with discretion)
  • From: Pat_Elazar@cwb.ca
  • Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 16:01:15 -0600

Hi Lisa!

I agree first with the caveats raised by Adam & Judy.

Having said that, I'm sure that ALL urban agriculture risks contamination
by cars, pets & drunks.

So why not use that curb strip for some hardy roots, ancient/ceremonial
grains or dry soup beans that will not be eaten raw?

Or even designate the Kurb zone for a processing garden & make an
educational event of canning & autoclaving the entire output?  Just stay
away from the salad greens though....

                      "Lisa Coven"
                      <LCoven@ci.Burlington.v        To:       <community_garden@mallorn.com>
                      t.us>                          cc:
                      Sent by:                       Subject:  [cg] Growing edibles on streetsides
                      community_garden-admin@
                      mallorn.com

                      02/10/2004 01:49 PM

There has been recent discussion with growing concern about growing
edibles in the area between the street and the sidewalk in my community.
 I have been trying to find substantial research on the risks of eating
food grown in this area or so close to the street.  Perhaps there are no
known risks or even ill effects but I also have not found any community
that supports and encourages urban dwellers to grow food in these areas.

I appreciate all the feedback and direction that anyone may have on
this subject.
Thanks

Lisa Coven
Conservation Legacy Program
Burlington Area Community Gardens
Burlington Parks and Recreation Department
645 Pine Street, Suite B
Burlington, Vermont 05401
802- 863-0420
fax- 802-862-8027