Re: community_garden digest, Vol 1 #1671 - 7 msgs

  • Subject: [cg] Re: community_garden digest, Vol 1 #1671 - 7 msgs
  • From: Commgarden@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 01:13:20 EST

Has rhat organization explained  why theyare ceasing coverage?

We, at the Community Gardens of the Avenue of the Flowers ( a tax-exempt,
non-profit corporation) in Thousand Oaks, California, operate the Las Flores
Community Garden on land owned by our local park district.

Now beginning our third year, we've seen our liability insurance premium
rise from $950 to $1,015 and this year to $1,350! That includes a rise in the
broker's fee from $200 to $250!
We have made no claims. Our insurance is through the Chubb Group
with participation by a company called Franey in Virginia.  We've been unable
to find a viable alternative insurer, so far.

Our policy includes some ridiculous coverages, such as aircraft, boats
(we're more than twenty miles from the ocean or a navigable river) and this
year, out of the kindness of their hearts, we have the option of adding
ANTI-TERRORIST coverage at an additional charge. The only terror that visits our cg
is from gophers, ground squirrels, mice and rabbits.

In my opinion, if this unavailability  and/or constant escalatingof liability
coverage for community gardens is as widespread as it seems to be, there
needs to be a call for a national conference (including Canada) to press for
liability insurance premiums , perhaps in the form of a continent wide
insurance  pool covering all non-commercial community gardens.

Don Jacobs