Re: More on compost

  • Subject: Re: [cg] More on compost
  • From: Steve Mitrione <smitrione@earthlink.net>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 09:37:04 -0500

I agree with Dorene.  Some people make this way too complicated and
intimidate people out of composting.  I have followed the lazy way for
years and get a fine product with no diseases, pests or other problems.
The Rodale Guide to Composting gives a variety of methods used
succesfully over the years that include very active management to piling
organic materials and letting them sit for 1-2 years.  I think the
method that you choose depends on your situation, needs and time.

Calling one method "composting" and the other "rotting" is incorrect.
We need to encourage more people to take responsibility for their
"wastes", and we can do this by giving people a variety of methods and
letting them choose what works for them.
-Steve Mitrione