There Will Always Be An England

  • Subject: [cg] There Will Always Be An England
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 12:05:13 EST

Hey kids, remember Oliver Goldsmith's the "Vicar of Wakefield"? If not, here is a link to the University of Pennsylvania's "Project Guttenberg" free online version of it if you never read it and don't want to schlep to the library to take it out. The Vicar of Wakefield.

No, I've not lost my mind.

This is from "Wakefield Today" a regional paper in England.  Nice, nice story.  The "high street" is the main commercial drag in an English town. Would that similarly nice things happen around me in Manhattan. "There Will Always Be An England"

Delight as land goes up for sale

THE coveted land by the Baptist church in Normanton is about to go on the market.

Wakefield Council has decided to take offers on the land off the High Street, much to the delight of one community group which has had its eye on it for some time.
Now Normanton Environmental Societies Together (Nest) are hoping to lease the land with the help of Normanton Freeston Business and Enterprise College.
They hope to use the land for both education and preservation purposes.
Barbara Joddrell, president of Nest, said: "We've been in contact with the school governors and put forward an idea for the pupils to use the land to learn about gardening and wildlife.
"We think it would be wonderful if it could become part of curriculum and are keeping our fingers crossed that the council will lease us the land."
A spokesman from Normanton Freeston Business and Enter-prise College said staff at the school knew nothing about supposed plans to turn the land into an educational resource.