Gardens Don't Grow on Trees

  • Subject: [cg] Gardens Don't Grow on Trees
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2005 20:48:47 EST

This piece appeared in the 2005 Clinton Community Garden's Newsletter - along
with  plot renewal forms. It is as direct and as clear as I could make it.

As the topic, i.e., getting more gardener hands to engage in volunteer
communal work, is not new for any of us on this listserv, I'm sharing it.

If it's a wheel that will fit on your wagon, please feel free to customize it
for your own garden.  Because, "Gardens Don't Grow on Trees,"

Best wishes,
Adam Honigman

Gardens Don't Grow On Trees

The CCG sits on real estate valued between five and ten million dollars, in a
very hot Clinton/Hell's Kitchen real estate market. You need only look
westwards to buildings being erected over the railroad cuts between 10th and
avenues to see how valuable land is in our neighborhood.

As the only officially mapped community garden in the NYC Parks system, the
CCG is as safe as any NYC Park is from being sold. But all city properties are
regularly evaluated for utility and value to their communities.

The Clinton Community Garden's volunteers have earned our garden's right to
exist through 27 years of service to our community. Our volunteers have
and sustained  a safe, clean, beautiful and highly successful green oasis for
Hell's Kitchen, our 120 garden members, 5,000 plus key-holders, and visitors
from  NYC, the US and the World.  In a recent monograph, the German City of
Berlin cited the Clinton Community Garden as a prime example of a successful,
sustainable urban community garden.  We're listed in fancy garden books as
notable, and our website gets thousands of hits.

Nice, butb&.

As you know, every year some volunteers either move away, over the years some
The long-term survival of the Clinton Community Garden depends on all of our
garden members stepping up.   Please sign up for our clean-up and weekend
volunteer days, events like the city-wide Summer Solstice Celebration, Ninth
Avenue Food Festival booth, the Fourth of July Picnic and take the effort to
mundane things like pointing out the garden's rules to visitors and taking out

The future of the Clinton Community Garden depends on you.