Re: (Urban.Parks) Edible Landscapes in Public Spaces

  • Subject: [cg] Re: (Urban.Parks) Edible Landscapes in Public Spaces
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 21:20:20 EST

Part of the way we make the Clinton Community Garden more welcoming to our
over 5,000 non-gardening key-holders and neighborhood visitors is our "cut a few
sprigs for dinner," herb garden, maintained by Clinton Community Garden
gardener volunteers, Annie Chadwick and Faser Hardin. The rules to our herb garden
are, "please feel free to cut a few sprigs of our herbs for dinner, but don't
yank out the whole plant!"

We also have an apple tree, in our front garden as well as a beehive - who's
honey we sell after our harvest as a fundraiser. The hive does wonders for our
plantings, and honey, "harvested eight blocks away from where the ball is
dropped in Times Square on New Year's Eve," has a special cachet for neighborhood
dwellers that goes beyond its intrinsic value - the natural happens here in
the midst of concrete caverns.

To read more of what we do: http://www.clintoncommunitygarden.org/

Everbest,

Adam Honigman