Berlin searchs for information about community gardens

  • Subject: [cg] Berlin searchs for information about community gardens
  • From: Maike Brammer maikebrammer@yahoo.de
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 12:23:31 +0100 (CET)

To whom it my concern,

Demographical change with the impact of shrinking cities leaves even more open urban spaces in Germany's inner cities then there once was. In many cities in eastern Germany the supply of these vacant parcels has increased at a rate previously unknown, with marked population losses and the resulting lack of demand for almost all types of land use .

How can this new planning challenge be develop into a practical plan of action? A transitional use of the open urban spaces seems to be the answer. Possible temporary land uses include the planting of neighbourhood gardens in open spaces between apartment buildings, filling vacant spaces in mediaeval urban centres with exhibitions or planting sunflowers in large housing estates where large-scale demolition has taken place, among other possibilities.

With citizen participation and sensitive approaches, new open spaces can become urban living spaces of the future.

New York City community gardens seem to be the perfect example for transitional land use. I am searching for a dissertation about transitional use of open urban spaces for any information about community gardening and greening of vacant sites in cities.

I am also planning on a visit to NYC in May to do some first-hand research. My goal is to gather data about community gardening to be used as a best practise example for Berlin's open spaces. People here arent familiar with community gardening and we still have problems with land owners and the city itself. But communities and neighbourhoods are willing to do something.

Let me know if you are interested in an international exchange. I am thinking about interviewing community gardeners, neighbours, garden users and organizations that provide a variety of services to community gardeners.

Greetings from Berlin

Maike Brammer

Maike Brammer

Rheinsbergerstr. 18

10115 Berlin- Germany

Gesendet von Yahoo! Mail - Jetzt mit 250MB kostenlosem Speicher

Gesendet von Yahoo! Mail - Jetzt mit 250MB kostenlosem Speicher