Greenhouses in comm gardens

  • Subject: [cg] Greenhouses in comm gardens
  • From: "Janet Parker" Janetp@cacscw.org
  • Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 11:37:12 -0600

Dear Friends,
Here in snowy Madison, Wisconsin we are busy planning for the season to come!  A gardener has been looking into building a polyvinyl greenhouse from a kit at a large community garden with 110 families in a city park.
Any stories to tell from your experience or ideas of what might work?
Some concerns on our minds are:
- vandalism (the site is unfenced, and tagging and theft have been problems there)
- limited usefulness (no electric runs to the site, so heat for seedlings in spring won't be possible) (photovoltaic solar panels have been suggested to power automatic ventilation for summer)
If you have ideas or tips you can share with us, please drop me a note with your phone number and a time I can call you.  Or reply to the list.
Thank you!

Janet Parker

CAC Community Gardens

608-246-4730 ext. 218