RE: Re: community garden adjacent to nursing home

My assumptions ( a dangerous thing )are:
1) that the Nursing home has a garden, or land attached to it and that
gardeners from the surrounding community want to garden in it, or

2) that this garden is to be run by Nursing residents and staff as an
adjunct to the Nursing Home proper.  If this is the case, then the garden
will have to have professional staff to both aide mobile residents in their
gardening and perambulations.

It seems like a win-win proposition  for the nursing home and the community
if it is planned sensitively and intelligently. I would bring in the nursing
home personnel in on the beginning planning stages and be sure to have
nursing home management and resident representation on your eventual garden
steering/governing board-committee.

Try get a nurse involved in planning because they're smart people who tend
to look at issues from all directions, work to  prevent problems before they
happen and are generally blessed with common sense.

Here are issues that come immediately to mind.

Seniors may get around with canes, walkers and wheelchairs and have vision
problems. Gravel is out. I'm thinking well-laid brick or asphalt paths, no
steps, gentle inclines and ample space to maneuver  for the self and
assisted wheelchair bound. Raised beds suitable for a person in a wheel
chair to garden  ( we have one in our community garden) are a big plus with
a tool shed or locker designed for a wheelchair bound person to get tools

Tool shed issues: Your community gardeners must be very careful and safety
conscious about leaving tools, wheelbarrows, etc.around.

Composting: Your garden should be organic because of heightened sensitivity
of seniors to toxins. However, check your municipalities rules on composting
and if allowed, maintain it in a safe, odor and rodent free fashion. I not
allowed, use fish emulsion and other organic fertilizers only.

Have piping throughout the garden with spigots and hoses carefully
positioned for gardener and senior watering.

Perennials planted for 4 seasons ( again I'm assuming) Evergreens and
decorative cabbages for the winter ( bring in carolers, etc. life) always
have something attractive for folks to see from a window. Colorful
perennials, fragrant plants, phlox to attract butterflies, bird feeders hung
from arbors to attract birds( but do not promote birdfeeding by clients,
seeds on the ground - bread can attract rodents.) There are gardens that
have been laid out for seniors and the blind. Check out the American
Community Gardening Association website for community gardens in your area,
contact your local governmental agencies, elected officials, hospitals, the
VA administration, and your local Paralyzed Veterans Association. All these
folks have lots of information and maybe some leads on where to get grant

Also contact your local gardening, agriculture and parks groups for sources
of information, volunteers, and fundraising possibilities. Community
gardening is community based.

Be sure to involve the neighbors in a 5 block area. If these folks get
involved, it can be a very positive experience for all involved.

Good luck!

Adam Honigman