RE: RE: Catalog for seeds

Stephanie:

1) Like anything else in Manhattan, organic seeds in a retail plant store
cost  an arm and a leg. However, the Chelsea Garden Center people give
discounts to community gardeners ( show  an ID card to get the discount -
the Clinton Community Garden has a card through the parks depts - it would
behoove you to print up one for your gardeners if you do not have a garden
card. The organic seeds that I've seen at the Bowery Location (Chelsea
Garden Center Nursery: 321 Bowery at 2nd Street 212-777-4500) have been of
the "Seeds of Change" line. For a place that sells hugely expensive garden
furniture, I've found that they're pretty responsive to non-yuppie plant
requests. There are alot of gardeners who work at the Bowery location (
incidentally across the street from a community garden.)

If you want to drop a name when you're there, say you heard that  Phil
Tietz, ex-Green Guerillas, ex-ACGA board works with them. He currently
community gardens at Liz Christie and the Clinton Community Garden. They'll
probably say he's on the truck ( in his current incarnation he is fairly
renumerated for assembling  rich people's penthouse/ country house gardens.)
Here's the Chelsea Garden's  website:
http://www.chelseagardencenter.com/newsletter/newsletter.html

2) Some other plant stores carry "Seeds of Change" but I'd suggest that you
call first and if you run across them, check the expiration date.

3) Here's a thought: Go to the Greenmarket at Union Square and ask any of
the organic farmers there who their seedman is. ( I'm gonna try this one
next   week when I'm downtown.)

4) Online I like:
Seeds of Change / They can be pricey but primo quality. They have a catalog
with good organic seed and started plants.
http://store.yahoo.com/seedsofchange/

5) Seed Saver's Exchange is a non-for-profit seed saving group that saves
heirloom plants. Their conferences can get you great contacts for organic
seeds. Well worth contacting:

http://home.infi.net/~jceres/garden/sse.html

6) I've not done business with these folks, but one of our CCG gardeners
likes them:

http://www.heirloomseeds.com/

7) Home Harvest:
http://homeharvest.com/gardenseeds.htm

8) This Canadian outfit - Terra Viva is another source:

http://www.tvorganics.com/main.cfm?formkey=000511204640&CatID=27&dispsucat=1
1&action=showproducts

Happy gardening!

Adam Honigman