ordinance that defines and recognizes community gardens as partof land use

Adam, Jill, & everyone,
Unfortunately Toronto does not have any formal cg policy embedded into our
official plan. We are trying to get that to happen and our present City
Council is certainly friendly towards the idea, even going as far as passing
(last year) a Community Garden Action Plan that the Toronto Parks Dept.
devised (with a bit of help). Unfortunately, Council did not allocate any
additional money to implement this plan.

 We're in the process of hammering out recommendations which will make up
the second phase of the Food & Hunger Action Committee's report. Phase one
(basically an inventory of food  resources) is available at
<http://www.city.toronto.on.ca/ourcity/food_hunger_report.htm>
Presumably the recommendations will also be online as soon as Council
(hopefully) approves them.

 I do believe that Montreal is more forward-looking and does have an offical
plan item about community gardens. In any case, the best place to look for
this kind of info is at CityFarmer <http://www.cityfarmer.org>
Laura