RE: Organizing a garden

Don & Friends,

Question two:
Please  realize that I'm dealing with race, and a region of the country that
is west of the Hudson river so I may step on some folks toes without meaning
to. Being a New Yorker is provincial in it's own way: folks who would be
laying landmines for each other in their homelands have to get along here to
survive. The powerful know that people of good will can always be set
against each other by pressing ethnic, racial and religious buttons.
Political sophistication comes with saying, "I know I'm [fill in the blank],
I was born that way. Now how do you stand on that issue and why? Who's
paying you?" When someone plays the race card, we always ask why. Folks in
other parts of the country burn Hilary in effigy, we elect her to the
Senate. Why? We don't need a mom or role model as Senator, we need someone
who will represent our interests - i.e. do a job or get fired.

Adam's truism;  "Community gardening is 50% gardening and 100% political,"
Tip O'Neil's truism, "All politics is local," is corollary in this instance.
As much as liberal white Jewish Adam in NYC may disapprove of the balance of
power in governance of the community gardens in Southern Baptist Town X as
portrayed in your email, there is a political fact here: the gardens are
preserved, the municipality has bought into it, the gardeners as a whole are
participating and have settled for what they have. I may not be happy with
the paternalistic set-up, but I don't live there. Folks elsewhere  may not
like our multi-racial, multi-ethnic,  multi sexual-preferenced NYC garden
communities but hey, we live with it ( our parties are lots of fun!)

My two cents worth: Your buddy shouldn't waste his time and energy playing
dissident against that nice energetic white church lady's community gardens
and complacent African-American constituency.
 Think Don Quixote and the windmills.

 Better he should find himself some like minded multi-hued folks and set up
an ACGA  democratically governed community garden, raise some money, get
some land and just do it. Gardening well ( pace Pio Baroja) is the best
revenge. Who knows? With a Wendy's in town folks may get tired of Micky
Dees.

Question one:

How long does it take?

First get some people, figure out objectives and governance ( think
Mayflower Compact), get a grubstake and get somewhere to garden. Anything
good takes time. The timetable depends on how quickly you can organize the
elements and get firm commitments from project participants. Hint: Share
credit, let folks think it was their idea in the first place - it's
community not "me."

Happy Gardening,

Adam Honigman

America's