RE: Lost our Garden to Town Politics

  • Subject: RE: [cg] Lost our Garden to Town Politics
  • From: "Jim.Call" <jimcall@casagarden.com>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2002 10:29:58 -0600

Such is politics.  What did Adam H. once state, "running a community garden was 90% politics and 10% gardening".  How true sometimes.
My advice is to try to work something out with the city planners or political types in acquiring some of the town park for the garden. You may have to give a little and settle for a smaller garden.  You need to get your ducks in a row and have available some documentation detailing the benefits of a "community" garden.
One thing is for sure, you WILL NOT be able to operate your current garden on a long-term basis without a regular source of water.
The 1st year I took over our community garden in 1995, we had no water whatsoever.  It did not rain during the month of July with temps running over 90 every day.  I hauled in water in garbage cans, milk jugs and it was a losing battle.  The next year, we acquired a water hookup.
Here is another idea.  Drive around town in the area you wish to locate your garden and find any churches with unused vacant lots.  Explain to them your problem and they may work out a deal with you and your gardeners. This is not a long term commitment because if the church expands, they will need the vacant lot, but its better than your existing situation.
Only 5% of community gardens in the U.S. have site permanency.
Hope this helps,   Jim Call,  CASA Community Garden Volunteer Director