Re: Garden Plot Paths

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Garden Plot Paths
  • From: Alliums <garlicgrower@snip.net>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 07:36:20 -0500

Len wrote:

>I am looking for ideas on developing main paths down the middle of the
garden plots.  We would like to plow and till every fall so a permanent path
of sod or gravel would not work well.

We grab cardboard from the local appliance store (they showed me where they
store their stash until the recyclers come and I can help myself whenever we
need it), lay it on the ground in double layers, then cover the whole thing
with wood chips (donated by a local tree service).  The paths stay weed-free
in season and break down enough to be tilled in whenever you like.

If you are plowing in fall rather than spring, remember to cover crop to
build soil and prevent erosion.  Bare earth over winter is *not* good for
the long-term health of your garden. . .

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of