Re: Community Gardening Programs

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Community Gardening Programs
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2002 10:44:36 EST

In a message dated 1/18/02 4:52:30 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Karin@DaytonsBluff.org writes:

I am looking for information on how gardening both flower and vegetable
gardening can help improve a community.  We are starting a gardening program
as part of our Crime Prevention Program and wonder if other community have
seen better communication between neighbors, reduce crime and other
neighborhood improvements.

Community Gardeners have discovered that community gardens attract the kind
of people who "grow" neighborhood organizations and are active in them. The
transforming power of community gardens never ceases to amaze me.  Once folks
become empowered through the creation and maintenance of a community amenity
like a community garden, the same recipe gets transferred to block and
neighborhood associations, crime watches, local schools and grass roots
political action. In NYC, we have just elected our first community gardener
NYC City Council Member, Mr. James Sanders who represents the 31st council
district. This article from last Febrary's New Age Journal is a very good
overview of the transformations that community gardens can create in our
<A HREF="http://www.newage.com/current.comm-grdn.html";>New Age Journal Article
</A> .
Bottom line: bowling rarely creates community transformation - community
gardening does.
Please go to the website of the American Community Gardening Association,
which has a wealth of information on the topics that you're interested  in
and read through all of the links.  <A
HREF="http://www.communitygardening.org";>The American Community Gardening
Association</A> . Once you have read and printed to your heart's content,
please consider joining the ACGA the united voice of community garden
organizations in the U.S. and Canada. For the price of Chinese Food and a few
beers you'll be in great company.

Stay in touch. Please let us know how you're doing.
Adam Honigman

<A HREF="http://www.clintoncommunitygarden.org";>Clinton Community Garden</A>

The American Community Gardening Association is the