RE: New Research on beneficial effects of green space on children

  • Subject: RE: [cg] New Research on beneficial effects of green space on children
  • From: Tom Tyler <ttyler@vt.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 11:43:18 -0500

Jack,
Does this mean that I can now add another ailment
or phobia to my personal list? Would I then be
called "biophilic"??  Just curious...I need some relief
today. Please help... Tom :)

At 11:30 AM 1/29/02 -0500, Jack Hale wrote:
>This kind of stuff always intrigues me.  Very interesting kinds of
>connection.  It also raises more questions, for example...
>Could a factor be that parents are mellower after a move to greener
>pastures?
>Could it be that caring parents are more likely to move to greener space and
>that it's the caring, not the green that has the direct effect?
>What is it about greener space that affect the children?  More oxygen, more
>open space, the color green?
>What part is played by biophilia (my favorite new word, meaning love of
>living things) which may be a genetic human trait?  Might there be a similar
>impact from getting a pet?
>Lots more research ahead for these folks.
>Jack Hale

Tom Tyler
Extension Agent - Environmental Horticulture
Unit Coordinator
Virginia Cooperative Extension - Arlington County
3308 S. Stafford St.
Arlington, VA 22206

703-228-6423 (P)
703-228-6407 (F)
E-Mail: ttyler@vt.edu
<http://offices.ext.vt.edu/arlington>

President, American Community Gardening Association:
<http://www.communitygarden.org>