Re: Worm World Worm Castings

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Worm World Worm Castings
  • From: LTanenb50@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 09:21:53 EST

YES!  Our daughter and sweetie sent my husband a good sized community of their
worms last spring for his birthday, and last week I got a lesson in how they mate.  Very neat.  They live in a rubbermaid type box, in the backyard when weather permits, and in the basement in the winter (Chicago).  This fall we had enough worm castings to use around a few special shrubs.  I don't remember exactly the technique my husband used for collecting the casting - worm farm will be able to fill in -  he spread out a tarp in the back yard and I think made several piles that he skimmed off as the worms all congregated in one spot .... someone fill in here.  It worked great.

We have a friend on the New Jersey ocean whose worms live outside all year around, moving from pile to pile........

I'm also intrigued enough to think of going larger scale.  Our snazzy composter rusted out.  We live in Chicago where there are rats so cannot do the out-in-the-open bins - but right after sending this I'm going to visit the wormworld site and see if they have some thought on my subject!     Laurie