worms

  • Subject: [cg] worms
  • From: "Jon Rowley" rowley@nwlink.com
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 11:59:56 -0800

Can anyone tell me what is the best way to harvest the castings from worms.  The last time I put the casting on a screen and as the worms came to the top I pulled them out and put them back in my worm bin.  I have a three tier worm composter and the worms are supposed to move to the top as the fresh food is put in the top tiers.  This does not happen.  What do you worm keepers do?

Dianna in cold New Hampshire
yinyangcr@aol.com

Another idea is to put the castings you want to harvest in a heap on a tarp.  Do it outside in the sun or in your neck of the wooods with the weather you are having this can be done inside on a tarp under a light..  Worms don't like light.  Wait a  bit and skim off the top layer.  Worms will descend.  Wait a bit and skim off another layer from the top.  Worms will descend.  Wait a bit and skim off another layer and so on.  Eventually you will end up with a squirming slithering bunch of worms next to the tarp. Put them back in the system.  Good luck.

Jon Rowley
Interbay P-Patch
Seattle