Nutrient inputs & Grrrant $

  • Subject: [cg] Nutrient inputs & Grrrant $
  • From: SoleilPaz@aol.com
  • Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2003 21:41:24 EST

In a message dated 1/25/03 5:01:40 PM Pacific Standard Time, tamsin@sparecreative.com writes:

Just a question I've been thinking about while visiting our garden and also
reading this list serve. How much 'stuff' (manures/compost
ingredients/soil...) do different gardens have to bring in to keep their
plots productive? As vegetable gardens are constantly harvested, is there a
way with only a small amount of land to make them as self-sufficient as
possible in the community garden context or is it preferable to take
advantage of what others consider wastes and use them? I'd be interested in
hearing what other gardens do...

       Our garden is not yet planted, so I'm speaking before experience has proven my idea. But, it seems to me to be a duty of gardeners in our part of the world to teach the community how to reuse materials and lighten the load on the planet. So, gardeners could make a point of bringing in "waste" materials from the community like horse manures, seaweed or whatever you may have locally. Quick aside: I am jealous of you seaweed composters, we don't even have a good source for pond scum here.

       You could, like, ya know, uhm, recycle out loud. Personally, we have all of these coffee vendors that make lots O trash, and lots O $ off our city population. I think it's a good trade to ask these businesses who profit so well to recycle their waste to benefit the soil, lighten the load. Starbucks coffee grounds for all! There's plenty to go around!! To me, that's self-sufficiency, and you've involved the community in your community gardening.

I suspect that we'll get very good at gathering this community waste, and will require some very efficient composting systems. Thanks to everyone for their ideas on this and the composting thread so far.

BTW: For gardeners in N. California U.S., Starbucks is giving away grant dollars. Go to a store to ask for a brochure. If many community gardens apply for these $ or any others, when one wins cash support, we all win.

--Soleil Tranquilli

Elk Grove Community Garden

Nurturing community ~ Empowering people ~ Growing  good  food

www.geocities.com/egcgonline/               Coordinator Soleil Tranquilli 685-8010

“In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions
on the next seven generations.” --Great Law of the Iroquoise Confederacy