Re: Community garden nutrient inputs

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Community garden nutrient inputs
  • From: "Deborah Mills" deborah@greencure.org
  • Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 08:09:40 -0800

What test can be done to check to see if herbicides are present in compost?
I know there are expense laboratories that samples can be sent to but are
there any other simple tests? Recently I tried the "Cress" test with various
composts and potting soils. My results were that everything germinated but
some took up to ten days to sprout (normally two to three days). Not sure
what the variable was in the equation that could have caused this (viable
seeds etc.). Any thoughts anyone?

Deborah Mills