Darth Vader composters & Heirloom Seeds

  • Subject: [cg] Darth Vader composters & Heirloom Seeds
  • From: "a.h.steely" gfcp@mindspring.com
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 16:01:36 -0500

In Dauphin County, Penna. the composters that were mentioned as costing
about $80 were given free to individuals willing to use them after receiving
3 hours of instruction in composting and why it is important.  The idea is
to use the "each one teach one" concept to keep leaves and newspapers out of
the landfills.  My neighbors and the municipality were not exactly happy to
see my darth vader in the rear of my yard.  I kept mentioning that it was
from DEP and the Extension Service to the nosy trouble making father of a
local drug dealer and finally the cops left me alone!!??

At the Farm Show, Pa. The Heirloom Seed Project book was handed out free.
It is available for about $4 in the USA at the following URL.
http://www.landisvalleymuseum.org/index.htm

On page 12 it has a section titled, If you choose to save your own seeds...
my word, seed saving is more complicated than I thought.  I used to just
throw seeds in an envelope after drying them and then plant the following
year!  It may not be frugal but it is important to know how experts do seed
saving.  Much other interesting information in the little book also.

Enjoy.
helen steely
Hbg., Pa.