Free Compostable Coffee Grounds from Starbucks

  • Subject: [cg] Free Compostable Coffee Grounds from Starbucks
  • From: "Honigman, Adam" Adam.Honigman@Bowne.com
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 17:20:34 -0500

I was just talking to a P-Patch community gardener from Seattle who says that his local Starbucks makes coffee grounds available in large quantities gratis to local gardeners at his local outlet. According to my buddy, "In Seattle, they have 5lb.bags ready to go at my local store every day.  The local gardeners keep the special wicker basket from overflowing, it is hard to get more than 2-3 bags at a time."
Now I don't often indulge myself in pricey cups of coffee, but I have to tell you, to get a cupon the run as good as I grind and brew at home is pretty tempting at times instead of the usual "mud in a cup."  Again, according to this guy, "They make a great mulch and green for hot compost."
Maybe it's worth stopping by your local Starbucks, buying a cup of coffee and telling the manager that you were just in Seattle and saw that a few of the stores there put bagged coffee grounds around for local gardeners....Say it's a Corporate Social Responsibility type thing, and they have to pay to have it carted away anyhow....
A thought for a snowy afternoon...
Adam Honigman