We have lots of room at Allegra's Funeral

  • Subject: [cg] We have lots of room at Allegra's Funeral
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 12:46:29 EST

Friends,

Though the generosity of David Posner, the chief rabbi of Congregation Emanu-el, Allegra's funeral tomorrow will be in the main sanctuary of our spiritual home, Congregation Emanu-el.  Here is the website of the place, so you can have a sense of where we've been when we've not been nursing, working, gardening, going about the business of daily life.

It's a grand place, where a colleague of Allegra's, Miriam Reines, brought us in through blood drives and our desire to participate in it's Sunday Lunch Program ( Emanu-el's very respectful soup kitchen.) When it came time for Daniel to prepare for his bar mitzvah, we chose Emanu-el for its wonderful rabbinate, music, its beautiful liturgy (we still use the Union Prayer Book) and core of faithful, wonderful congregants.

The space that David has put aside for us is the main sanctuary, probably the largest Jewish house of worship in the world - about the size of St. Patrick's Cathedral.

There is plenty of room and all are welcome who come in peace and wish to honor my wife's memory.

The formal memorial notice:

It is with great sorrow that I inform you that my wife, Allegra Benveniste Honigman, passed away on Friday, January 9th, 2004 at 8:00 pm.

During Allegra's recent and terrible illness my son Daniel and I have been sustained on the hands and spirits of our friends. The large number of visitors to Allegra's bedside at St. Luke's Hospital's Cardiac Care Unit was truly remarkable and a great comfort to Allegra on the few days she was conscious and to Daniel and myself.

We invite you all to help celebrate the beauty of Allegra's life, service to the sick, service to community, her values and her gift for love and friendship at our beloved spiritual home, Congregation Emanu-el, in the City of New York.

Services will be held tommorrow,  Monday, January 12, 2004 at Congregation Emanu-el, 65th Street and Fifth Avenue in Manhattan, NYC at 1:00 p.m.

My phone number is 212-541-5277.
Email: adam36055@aol.com
Address: 360 West 55th Street, New York, NY 10019.

Adam  Honigman