Re: community_garden digest, Vol 1 #1625 - 7 msgs

  • Subject: [cg] Re: community_garden digest, Vol 1 #1625 - 7 msgs
  • From: ipevec@mail.ca.inter.net
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 23:02:47 -0700

I am just reading old emails I didn't have time to open over the holidays
and found this one.
>  1. innercity gardening training (grow19@aol.com)
When we began the Community Garden at Grandview Elementary school in inner
city Vancouver we brought in Master Gardeners to consult with the new
community gardeners about everything from soil ammending to starting seeds.
They came in early spring for seed starting workshops, later spring for
planting, mid summer and for the fall harvest. These workshops were very
well attended the first year by the very multicultural gardeners that used
the 24 10'x10' plots.  Then in subsequent years, fewer people showed up for
the workshops.  We also developed a literacy program at the garden itself
in a portable building right next to it in conjunction with the local
Vancouver community college. The first year of the program the people
(native aboriginal Canadians and immigrants ) wrote a beatiful book
together called "The Web of Life" about their garden memories from
childhood. The cover of the book is a traditional Northwest coast piece of
art by a school elder (aged 73 then) hummingbird. the same artist designed
the totem poles that are part of the native longhouse on the site of the
gardens.
We also use Master Gardeners to teach seed starting workshop each spring
with the children who are starting plants for their part of the garden.
You can see this community and school garden at
http://gra.vsb.bc.ca/garden/garden.html

Our gardeners reflect the First nations of Canada, Japan, China, Vietnam,
Bangladesh, India, Russia, etc...
Illene Pevec

>I'm looking for models of gardening training designed for urban
>innercity
>settings, especially for low-income low literacy learners, covering
>organic
>edible gardening as well as composting and basic ornamental garden
>design.  I'm
>wondering if there are any urban master gardening programs designed this
>way or
>other similar education series.  Feel free to email back to the list
>serve or
>directly to me at grow19@aol.com
>
>Judy Tiger
>Garden Resources of Washington