Toronto International Environmental Film & Video Festival

  • Subject: [cg] Toronto International Environmental Film & Video Festival
  • From: Laura Berman laura@foodshare.net
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 14:37:57 -0500

This environmental film festival coincides with the dates of our 2004 ACGA
conference, Oct 1,2,3, 2004 (keep your eyes peeled for info on THAT very
soon ;-)

*** Please post and distribute widely ***

Planet in Focus is currently accepting submissions for our 2004 festival.
Visit our website (www.planetinfocus.org) or read below for details...

Planet in Focus:
Toronto International Environmental Film & Video Festival

September 28 to October 3, 2004

Call for Submissions and Entry Form

Recognizing that the 'environment' is contested terrain, both as a
biophysical entity and as a philosophical frame, Planet in Focus invites
submissions of films and videos, in all genres, that critically examine the
concept of 'environment' and challenge current human/nature relations.
Special consideration will be paid to:
 works that push the boundaries of the accepted notions of 'environment'
 works that present cultural perspectives that are under-represented in
 works that will have their world or Canadian premiere at Planet in Focus:
Toronto International Environmental Film & Video Festival

Eligibility Criteria

Entries must have a release date after 2000.
Pre-screening copies must be submitted on VHS cassette (NTSC preferred, but
PAL also accepted). Each entry must be accompanied by a completed entry form
and the appropriate entry fee. Multiple entries may be sent in the same
package. Please avoid excessive non-biodegradable packaging. While our
long-term goal is to include works in a variety of languages, this year all
works submitted should be accessible to English speaking audiences.

Deadline for Entries

Early deadline: April 1, 2004
Final deadline: May 3, 2004
Entries must be received at our office in Toronto on or before these dates
Submission results will be sent out by email or mail in June, 2004.

Planet in Focus: Toronto International Environmental Film & Video Festival

Entry Form

English Title:

Original Language Title (if other than above):

Country of Origin: ______________ Year completed: ______________

Previously broadcast or screened anywhere in the world? Yes ___ No___

If yes, indicate where and when

If this work were to be screened at Planet in Focus (see festival dates
above) would it be a) World Premiere? ___ or b) a Canadian Premiere? ___
or c) neither____. Please specify.

Has this work recently been submitted to any other Canadian festivals? If
so, please name them and specify the dates they will be taking place

Year the program was produced _______________________________

Program Length (H:MM:SS) __________________________________

Colour ______ B&W _______

Original Program Format _______________

Formats available for festival screenings (if selected)

Sound: Mono _____ Stereo _____ Dolby _____

Please attach a brief synopsis (up to 50 words) of your film/video in
English. (Mandatory)

Each preview tape must be labeled with title, running time and contact
information. (Mandatory)

Please include press kits, publicity photographs, critical reviews,
biographies of the director, and any other material relevant to the work in
submission package. Your signature below constitutes agreement to allow
Planet in Focus to use these publicity materials for promotional purposes.

Print/Tape Source (to be listed in festival catalogue):

Do you have a Distributor? Yes ______ No _____

Producer/Distributor: _________________________

Contact Name: ______________________________

Job Title: ___________________________________

Address: ___________________________________

Tel: ________________ Fax: ___________________

E-mail: _____________________________________

Director Contact Info:

Given Name : _____________________________________________

Family Name: _____________________________________________

Production Company: _______________________________________

Address: _________________________________________________

Tel: _________________ Fax: _______________________________

E-mail: __________________________________________________

Production Credits
Please provide a complete list of production credits.

Entry Fees per submission (payment must be made out to "Planet in Focus"):
Canadian Entries
US & International Entries

Before April 1, 2004:
$10 CDN
$15 US

Before May 3, 2004:
$15 CDN
$20 US

US entries: only certified cheques, money orders or cash will be accepted

Other International entries: only US dollar money orders or US cash will be

Distributor Entry Fees: 5 entries @ $40, 10 entries @ $75

Planet in Focus pays the following artist fees for all work screened at the
festival (inclusive of any applicable taxes):

For works up to 5 minutes - $35.00
For works 5:01 to 15 minutes - $50.00
For works 15:01 to 30 minutes - $75.00
For works 30:01 to 60 minutes - $100.00
For works over 60 minutes - $125.00

May we use an extract (under 5 minutes) of your film for television or other
promotional purposes?

Yes ______ No ____________

May we hold your film/video in our archive and make it available for
screening by broadcasters, distributors or other potential buyers?

Yes _______No ___________

Shipping and Handling:
All costs of shipping pre-screening and exhibition copies to the festival
must be paid by the entrant. The festival will not pay customs fees. When
sending work from outside Canada please indicate clearly on the outside of
the package "Film/Video on loan for festival purposes only, No Commercial
Value." (Do not use United Parcel Service to courier material as they charge
large customs fees which we are unable to pay.) We cannot be responsible for
loss or damage through the post or handling. All preview tapes will be added
to the Planet in Focus: Toronto International Environmental Film & Video
Festival archives unless a return is specifically requested.

If you'd like to receive acknowledgement that we have received your entry,
please be sure to include your e-mail address. If you don't have internet
access, please enclose a stamped, self-addressed postcard. International
entrants can simply include a self-addressed envelope. We will mail it back
to you as soon as we open your package.

Please read and sign the following declaration:
I have read and agree to the festival submission and participation
guidelines and certify that I am authorized to submit this work to Planet in
Focus: Toronto International Environmental Film & Video Festival, and that
any copyrighted materials included in the work have been legally cleared for

Send your entry to:

Planet in Focus: Toronto International Environmental Film & Video Festival,

517 College Street, Suite 405, Toronto, ON, M6G 4A2 Canada

For additional information visit our website www.planetinfocus.org, send us
an email at information@planetinfocus.org, or call us at 416-531-1769

Earlybird deadline: April 1, 2004
Final deadline: May 3, 2004