Re: Cadmium and recycles tires

  • Subject: [cg] Re: Cadmium and recycles tires
  • From: Allan Balliett igg@igg.com
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 19:53:10 -0500

I started this thread (or re-started it!). Back in the mid-90's I was working with an initiative within the Luthern church which was headed by a charismatic individual who could do great things with used tires, also. He was having us cut one of the walls out of a tire and then put it in place (like at the doorstep of a low income trailer) and fill it with growing mix. IT was a way of making a tomato garden for low income housing situations. This program got off to quite a start and then was killed when it was 'discovered' that tires put off toxins that food plants picked up. I do not have any details, I just remember this program coming and going.

An addendum to this is that we did a demonstration in Chambersburg, PA at a conference there. There was an extension agent from Philly there. She worked extensively with community gardents. She was advocating using mushroom bedding as compost in community gardens. I told her that most compost bedding is saturated with fungicides and other chemicals. She said 'Whatever, baby, it sure grows food well!'

I have to admit, I have never been able to understand what value system where "lots" offset "poison" that this woman was coming from!

-Allan Balliett
Shepherdstown, WV