Re: speaker wanted on linking gardening, health and nutrition

  • Subject: Re: [cg] speaker wanted on linking gardening, health and nutrition
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 08:35:48 EST

Re: "I am looking for a dynamic speaker on the topic "linking gardening,
health
and nutrition" for our local community gardening conference in Dayton, OH
on Saturday, March 12th.  If  you know of anyone (or are someone) who is
interested, please contact me directly for details. Thanks for any help.

Tom

Tom Dietrich
Grow With Your Neighbors
Program Manager
1301 E. Siebenthaler Avenue
Dayton, OH  45414
937-277-6545
tdietrich@metroparks.org"

Tom,

I know that I sent you some of my talks ( the 2002 Arkansas Hunger Coalition
Keynote,  and the 2004 Project for Public Space lecture ) as samples but
looking at an article my mail brought in this morning, you may find your ideal
speaker(s) in Ohio.

Unfortunately, I only read about this ceremony/convocation happening in
Toledo tonight, with my early morning "e-mail dump," however,  it might be
worth
attending, if you can,

Thinking out of the box, you might want to reach out to,  "Michael Szuberla,
34, of Toledo GROWS ( and his mentor Hailu Kassa, a professor of public health
at Bowling Green State University".  The community gardening/health
connection seems to be very clear, and in this case, local.  Please let us all
know how
this works out for you.

Everbest,
Adam Honigman
Volunteer,
http://www.clintoncommunitygarden.org/

"Party honors young professionals and their mentors

An event billed as a celebration of Toledo's talented young professionals,
the mentors who have inspired them, and the city's birthday (Jan. 7, 1837)
takes
place from 7 to 11 tonight at Diva restaurant, 329 North Huron St.
Called "The Resolution, Toledo's Renaissance Party," it's a joint fund-raiser
put on by five nonprofit agencies: Toledo Sister Cities International, which
promotes international education and cultural exchanges; Adelante, Inc., an
Hispanic social service agency; Coalition to Access Technology and Networking
(CATNeT), a low-cost tech provider for nonprofit agencies; Toledo GROWS, which
focuses on urban beautification, community gardening, and environmental
education programs; and Viva South Toledo, a community development
corporation.

All the agencies are led by directors under age 35, says Jesse Torrence, the
25-year-old executive director of Toledo Sister Cities International.

"We want to celebrate the 'anti-brain drain' and recognize the young
professionals of the area, and our mentors, the more established leaders in
the
community who have helped our regional loyalty and our professional skills,"
he
says.

Each of the five directors will make a short presentation honoring his or her
mentor. Torrence will honor Kenneth Fallows, mayor of Haskins and chairman of
the executive committee of the Toledo Metropolitan Area Council of
Governments; Anne Robinson, 27, of Viva South Toledo will recognize Agnes
Caldwell, a
sociology professor at Adrian College; Hope Hudson, 30, of CATNeT will honor
community activist Lola Glover; Michael Szuberla, 34, of Toledo GROWS will
thank
Hailu Kassa, a professor of public health at Bowling Green State University;
and Sonia Troche, 32, of Adelante will honor Robert Torres, director of
Toledo's Office of Latino Affairs.

Torrence says the agency directors share a common concern: a shortage of
operating funds.

"That's where we're hurt the most now, across the nonprofit sector," Torrence
says, explaining that donors generally want their funds to go to programs
that help people rather than to salaries and other operating expenses. The
agencies - which he says collectively serve more than 20,000 families annually
in
the area - hope to raise at least $20,000 at tonight's event.

Tickets are $30 per person and $50 for couples. All proceeds will go toward
operating expenses, he says.

"It will be a great event," he promises, with food and entertainment on all
three levels at Diva. Guests are advised to "dress to impress."

"The Resolution, Toledo's Renaissance Party," takes place from 7 to 11
tonight at Diva, 329 North Huron St. Tickets, $30 per person and $50 per
couple, are
available in advance or at the door. Information: 419-241-1071.