Re: garden dispute

  • Subject: Re: [cg] garden dispute
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2005 23:15:42 EST

Sally,

The business of community gardening is gardening with other people who are
imperfect - because all of us are. Sh*t happens.

The garden had to put up a new fence, in order to survive and a guy's pear
tree got whacked. Now, he might have a case if it were in his own back yard, but
this was in a public community garden where his planting was part of the
whole.  Might they have done a little more due dilligence?  Sure, but as far as I
can see, this was a non-malicious mistake.

I feel bad for the guy, with his fancy French pear tree, but again the tree's
demoltion was not malicious, but part of making the garden safe and secure
for all gardeners.  And the pear tree owner, having placed this tree in a public
community garden, has no legal redress to speak of.

So they should apologize to this guy, but no way even think of coming up with
500 bucks. The garden, if it feels really bad, and this gardener does more
than just grow fancy trees in a public garden ( hmmmm - where was he when the
fencing had to go up again?) it might throw a few bucks towards another pear
tree, but certainly not spend huge bucks it doesn't have to cover a swingingly
expensive "private" tree on public land.

Everbest,
Adam Honigman