Re: to incorporate or not to incorporate

  • Subject: Re: [cg] to incorporate or not to incorporate
  • From: "Libby J. Goldstein" libby@igc.org
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 11:46:34 -0500

Jen,

I'm all for not incorporating.

Our garden has been in existence since 1976 and have not found a good reason to go through either the incorporation hassle or the associated reporting requirements once incorporation is accomplished. Since we are a community garden, and our leadership changes every two to four years, there's no way of knowing that the responsible people will have the skills or knowledge to fill out 990's etc.

When we do a major fund-raising from folk who will only give to a 501-c-3, we use one or two local non-profits to act as bursar which they seem quite willing to do for us. The check is written to the non-profit, and it, in turn, cuts us a check. It's really easy.

Libby