Re: garden dispute

Hi, Folks!

I also agree with Judy.

We're all supposed to be plant lovers and it's just not THAT hard to replace a plant that something happens to, so why not just do it? Plus, if you've got the space, a variety of plants, especially unusual plants, is not only better for the ecosystem, but tends to attract other people who wouldn't otherwise bother. Never underestimate the "Wow! What is that!" factor in attracting non-gardener human interest! ;-)

Since I belong to Seed Savers Exchange, St. John's United Church of Christ Organic Community Garden has all sorts of rare and heirloom plants. I need to go out and count the heirloom and species roses -- I know it's in the upper 30s and since I just ordered another 3 plants from the Antique Rose Emporium and my Roses In Thyme catalog hasn't come yet, we'll probably break 40 by the end of this May. I also have "spares" of all sorts of plants so that if a SSE colleague loses a variety, I can send them a replacement. For us, having all these different types of plants is what makes our community garden especially enjoyable -- we're all compulsive plant people and we like the variety! And, it blows non-gardener's minds when they see all these plants they can't identify in bloom or fruit (the medlar tree opens lots of conversations).

So, if you've got the space, I can't see why a community garden can't set aside places for whatever types of plant anyone wants to grow. At our garden, we encourage folks to use their individual plots for annuals, since we plow those plots every year. But we also set aside spaces for perennials -- we have an herb garden, fruit tree area, lilac corner, roses wherever they will fit, and raspberry bushes. Setting aside perennial space not only keeps gardeners happy, it gives your beneficials an undisturbed place to live, grow young and feed when the annuals have not yet flowered -- which ultimately gives you better pollination and better fruit/veggie set.

I'd still go after the fence company if they cut down the pear tree without notice -- sloppy workmanship should never be rewarded.

Dorene

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of