Job Announcement: Greenhouse/Admin Project Coordinator forHaywar d Community Gardens (California)
- Subject: [cg] Job Announcement: Greenhouse/Admin Project Coordinator forHaywar d Community Gardens (California)
- From: "Chun, Stacie" SChun@oaklandnet.com
- Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 08:43:50 -0800
"Grow the Garden" Project Coordinator
Hayward Community Gardens
25051 Whitman Street
Hayward, CA 94541
The Administrative Committee of the Board of Directors is pleased to
announce that it now has funding to hire a part-time coordinator for HCG's
new "Grow the Garden" project. This project is intended to help increase
food security in our community by providing education and distributing
vegetable starts, while helping HCG become more financially sustainable
through market sales.
Start/end date: February 14, 2005 to December 31, 2005 (may be extended,
contingent on additional funding)
Pay: $12/hr, to include mileage at 40 cents per mile.
Hours: 15-20 hours per week for 45 weeks. Schedule flexible but should
include mostly regular hours, to be determined in meeting with Board.
Qualifications: Applicants should
- Have demonstrable interest in community gardening and be comfortable
working with people from diverse backgrounds
- Be familiar with plant propagation and/or greenhouse management
- Speak, read, write English fluently. Conversational Spanish strongly
- Have excellent communication and organizational skills
- Have basic computer skills (for marketing and workshop promotion and
Duties: The "Grow the Garden" Project Coordinator will work with the
project's Directors, with HCG's part-time Program Coordinator, with the
Operations and Administrative Committees of the Board of Directors, and with
the gardens' Facilities, Market, and Rules Sub-committees, and will help
coordinate volunteers, to do the following tasks:
- Plan for appropriate quantities and sizes of seedlings to be grown
- Order seed, seedling and potting media and other propagation/potting
- Develop sowing and transplanting schedules
- Maintain optimal greenhouse conditions
- Prepare seedlings for distribution to members, market plots, and local
- Market seedlings (coordinate pricing, distribution and sales to the
Hayward Farmers' Market and other potential markets)
- Keep records of materials grown, distributed and sold, and of income
generated by seedling project. Report periodically to Board.
- Work with interested high schools to develop educational programs and
supervise student teams on site.
- Test for member interest and hold appropriate on-site workshops in
plant-breeding and propagation, and related topics of urban food production,
food security, etc.
- Support the HCG Program Coordinator in general garden tasks as found
appropriate and necessary.
Interested applicants should send a letter of application and a resume to
firstname.lastname@example.org, or to the HCG office, addressed to "Hiring
Committee" (at the address listed above). Review of applications will begin
January 24. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Hayward Community Gardens is an equal opportunity employer. Questions
regarding the position can be directed to "the hiring committee" at
The American Community Gardening Association listserve is only one of ACGA's services to community gardeners. To learn more about the ACGA and to find out how to join, please go to http://www.communitygarden.org
To post an e-mail to the list: email@example.com
To subscribe, unsubscribe or change your subscription: https://secure.mallorn.com/mailman/listinfo/community_garden