Re: Usage and Sunnyvale

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Usage and Sunnyvale
  • From: jsalans@aol.com
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 15:41:06 -0500

I appreciate your feedback Don and ALL the feedback I have received. Here in Sunnyvale, it has been two years since we started this process of trying to acquire the land from The City. It started with The City asking us to a meeting with a philanthropic organization that wanted the city to have a substantial grant to start a senior and a general community garden. The City turned them down and mouth agape I stuck my foot in my proverbial mouth and asked if our small gardening group could pull this off.

We have since added 250 people to a Yahoo email list that we garnered from walking the local farmers market and summer outdoor festivals. We have a lot of folks who want to garden, and so we are shooting for 87 raised beds set at 4' x 16'. There will be an allocation set aside for Senior Center members and an area set aside for the Master Gardeners. We do hope to make much more of this situation then just gardening as our purpose is to bring community together. We don't want the city council to yank us after our "5 year experiment" (that's our agreed to timelimit for now).

We will not have an open area for the public but the public will be invited in for educational events and tastings, and we hope to work with the local schools in conjunction with the senior community to put on demonstrations and garden walk throughs. We have the Sunnyvale public library next door, so we also hope to partner with them to add programs of interest for all ages. We have a database so we can track not only the gardeners who lease our beds but those who come to visit, the person hours of training we put on, and all of the information will be broken out by geographic subregion within Sunnyvale so we can show the City officials we are touching people from every corner in our community.

I appreciate you all doing what you are doing and writing so passionately about your experiences. I learn something from them all.

Peace,

Josh Salans