prison gardens vs. prison farms

I've been away for a week, so I apologize in advance if my comments
resurrect a thread that may have died a natural death.

First, it seems to me that there's very likely a world of difference
between a prison FARM and a prison GARDEN. The former suggests a business
enterprise on a fairly large scale; the latter may be sizable and may
generate revenue, but it may as easily be small and/or serve a strictly
ornamental or therapeutic purpose.

Second, I vaguely recall hearing or reading recently of a program through
which non-violent offenders could serve on a crew that made itself
available (at no charge) to local community gardens and small farmers.
Was that on this list, or somewhere else?

Finally, I want to commend the members of this list for handling a
potential conflict that arose in this thread in such a civilized manner.
I belong to other lists in which the behavior under similar circumstances
rapidly resembles that of a group of unsupervised toddlers. It's such a
pleasure to converse with other adults!

Sunshine and soft rain to all,
Jennifer Barricklow
North Haven CT