RE: Starting a garden for seniors and children

Ms. Marino,

On the matter of gardening advice, free plants and perhaps some technical
assistance,  I think a call to the Strybing Arboretum might be worth your
time. Your project is the sort of thing that looks good in annual
reports/fund raising appeals. Their website: http://www.strybing.org/

Canada CityFarmer Website: This particular site has a great deal of
information on "enabled gardening" and horticultural therapy with seniors:

On gardening with seniors, the disabled and children: The "Gardening
Forever" website has many useful links to pursue:

On roof gardening: This piece from a Ms. Alioto from the San Francisco
Chronicle on lightweight containers may be useful. Several vendors and
garden centers are mentioned in the article. Because of the nature of your
project, perhaps discontinued products, end of season close-outs, in-kind
tax deductible contributions might be possible, especially from the Sloat
Garden centers : The website:

Some articles about roof gardening:

A Toronto Roof Gardening Group:

Some  modest suggestions: Please have an architect or structural engineer
take a look at your set-up. Just make sure that the drains that were
originally there are still working, and that the roof can still bear weight.
Generally, containers are best for roof gardens. Gardeners and community
gardeners are a pretty decent sort as a rule. If you need folks to help with
your roof garden with technical advice, basic maintenance, gardening
lessons, etc. just let the community know. They'll come.

Please let us know how this works our for you,

Adam Honigman