REPLY REQUESTED: FREE SUBSCRIPTION TO ORGANIC VIEW.

  • To: (Recipient list suppressed)
  • Subject: [cg] REPLY REQUESTED: FREE SUBSCRIPTION TO ORGANIC VIEW.
  • From: Debbie Ortman <debbie@organicconsumers.org>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 13:33:42 -0500

ORGANIC VIEW MONTHLY NEWSLETTER VIA EMAIL!  PLEASE RESPOND & POST.

We would like to invite you to join our listserve to receive our monthly
email newsletter -
BioDemocracy News/Organic View.

TO SUBSCRIBE TO THIS NEWSLETTER:
Simply click reply in your email program, and then send - we'll
automatically add you to the list.
If you do not want to subscribe just ignore this message and you will
not be added.

WE HAVE FREE  OCA MATERIALS WE CAN SEND YOU. FOOD AGENDA 2000
FLYERS/POSTERS,  PETITIONS,  GE FACT SHEET AND MORE, SEE BELOW!

Interested in receiving Organic View/BioDemocracy News, our "free" email
newsletter, and occasional action alerts that deal with national organics
issues and updates, including information on  Genetically Engineered food
issues, USDA's National Organic Standards, labeling of irradiated food and
more?

Only respond if you would like to be added to our email list to receive
OV/BDN and/or receive a free pkt. of information/flyers, otherwise you will
not be added to our lists. Reply to this email with "subscribe".

I apologize if this is a repeat message or if you are offended. Some of you
may already be on one of our lists and have received this email, if so,
disregard this message. If you had previously been receiving Organic
View/BioDemocracy News, you will still be getting it.

Organic View/BioDemocracy News currently goes to over 30,000 coops, health
food stores, nutrition centers, activists, food buying clubs, CSA's,
farmers markets, organic farmers, organic consumers, health care
professionals, organic businesses and distributors, and organizations.  We
also maintain an international list.

The Organic Consumers Association - the OCA is a national grassroots
consumers campaign which grew out of the massive organic consumer response
to the USDA's first round of Organic Standards(over 270,000 comments were
submitted on the first round) in 1998. Many of us were part of the SOS/Save
Organic Standards Campaign. The OCA  has speakers (Ronnie Cummins, Debbie
Ortman, and  Simon Harris) available but we do need transportation/lodging
expenses paid for and an honorarium would be helpful. We are also available
for media interviews.

We need your help in developing a network of consumers, coops/stores,
farmers, and others to
build a national organic movement to educate and mobilize consumers about
the dangers of genetic engineering and food irradiation, and to submit
comments to the USDA on the National Organic Standards and FDA on food
safety issues.

Our Food Agenda 2000 campaign calls for:
1) Global Moratorium on Genetically Engineered Foods and Crops until
adequate safety testing
has been done. (We were the first organization in '98 to call for a global
moratorium);
2) Stop Factory Farming and Phase-Out Industrial Agriculture;
3) Convert US Agriculture to at least 30% Organic by 2010.

We have free packets available:
1) Food Agenda 2000 packets for individuals contain: 2 anti-GE petitions, a
GE fact sheet (you can make more copies), leaflets, and a  Consumer Warning
Leaflet targetting the top 15 food manufacturers to  stop using GE ingredients.
2) Store display packets contain 2 GE petitions,  GE fact sheets, Consumer
Warning leaflet,
Food Agenda 2000 leaflets, a counter top display holder, and 1 poster.
Please let me know how many display packets you would like me to send to
you for your coop/store/buying club/organizations/CSA/farmers market or
event. For buying clubs and CSA's, please let me know how many members you
have so I can include enough leaflets to send you.

What else can you do to support our Food Agenda 2000 campaign?

***You can help recruit new subscribers to our newsletters by sending this
entire message out to everyone on your email lists.

Volunteer:
- We need individuals to help identify coops/health stores in your area
that do not have our Food Agenda 2000 flyers and petitions. Send us a
contact name (manager), store name, address, telephone/fax numbers, and
email/website URL and we will send them a free pkt.
- If you want to volunteer, please send me your complete address, phone and
fax so I can
add you to our data base and connect you with other activists in  your area.

Coordinators:
- We need regional and state coordinators that can help distribute our Food
Agenda 2000 petition and our flyers to stores, organizations and groups
that are not hooked up to email  and that are not in our data base. You can
help us develop local OCA Chapters, table at events, and help build a local
data base of activists and those interested in the issues (for email, fax,
and telephone "trees").  Make sure you visit our websites on a regular
basis for new articles and information.

Donations:
- We need donations to help pay for flyers and posters. Donations can be
sent to: OCA, 6114 Highway 61, Little Marais, MN 55614
- Help organize a fundraising potluck and/or video showing (we have a
free video lending library).

Action:
- We need people to contact their elected Congressional senators and
representatives, the United States Department of Agriculture, the
President and Vice-President  about the importance of strong organic
standards.
president@whitehouse.gov(President Bill Clinton)
vice.president@whitehouse.gov (VP Al Gore)
Daniel.Glickman@usda.gov(Dan Glickman, Secretary of the US Department of
Agriculture)
Main website for US Representatives: http://www.house.gov/
Main website for US Senate: http://www.senate.gov/
- Write letters to the editor on organic issues.

Please pass this message on to your email lists. We are trying to build an
email network that can quickly submit comments to the USDA /FDA and elected
officials about organic standards and organic issues.

Thanks for your support!

Debbie Dunbar Ortman
National Field Organizer
Organic Consumers Association
3547 Haines Rd.
Duluth, MN 55811
(218) 726-1443
(218) 726-1446 Fax
debbie@organicconsumers.org
http://www.purefood.org

Join the Organic Consumers Association in your local area.
If you want to become a member or a volunteer--or make a donation--call
(218)726-1443

Please subscribe to our free electronic newsletter, BioDemocracy
News/Organic View,
via our website or send an email to: info@organicconsumers.org
with the message: subscribe

Organic View is devoted to organic food issues and
the work of the OCA. OCA is affiliated with the BioDemocracy Campaign.