community gardening questions

I am writing a set of policy profiles for the California Center for
Health Improvement on food security that will be placed on our website.
These profiles are developed to provide users with policy information
that can be replicated, revised and tailored to meet the needs of their
community.  One of these profiles addresses community gardens.  I have
been told that Seattle and Madison have incorporated community gardening
as an approved land use in the city's general plan.  Any further
information/resources on this would be helpful.  I also wanted to know
approximately how many dollars worth of vegetables can be grown per year
from a 4 by 16 foot raised bed garden.  I look forward to hearing back
from you.

Stacey Kenfield
California Center for Health Improvement
1321 Garden Highway, Suite 210
Sacramento, CA 95833-9754
Phone 916-646-2149
Fax 916-646-2151