Potatoes and Straw.

  • Subject: [cg] Potatoes and Straw.
  • From: tree-bone <tree-bone@excite.com>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2001 08:22:26 -0700 (PDT)

This is my first time growing potatoes. I hilled them in straw, but they
haven't bloomed yet. I planted them a little late. One of the types Iplanted
is pretty leggy, the Yukon gold. Should I give up and try next year, or is
there still hope?

I also am wondering if anyone has had trouble with using straw as a mulch
for melons, peppers and squash? There are a lot of grasshoppers around here
this time of the year(Arkansas) and was thinking they might like the
environment of the straw. Is there a better alternative? Something that lays
more flat like cottonseed meal or something?

Thanks for anyone that has any advise.
Teresa

Send a cool gift with your E-Card
http://www.bluemountain.com/giftcenter/