Community Garden Proposal

  • Subject: [cg] Community Garden Proposal
  • From: "Jim.Call" <Jim.Call@dynetics.com>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2001 15:13:48 -0500

To all,
I've just returned from a meeting with city officials discussing the
relocation of the CASA
Community Garden (Huntsville, Alabama).  Its seems, as many CG, that we are
not exactly what city planners are looking for in our current location (a
high tech research park which is owned by the city), so someday soon, we
will have to relocate.

But because of our huge garden success, they are being real careful about
this relocation/eviction because of the great community support.

They have proposed the following to CASA.....
               Move us next to the city's botanical garden (urban
environment)
               Install high fence to guard the garden from vandals, thieves
etc.
               Install/Maintain underground sprinkler system
               Build common pavilion
               Build restroom facilities
               Design and install professional landscaping
               Build storage facility for gardening materials
               Build unique entryway to garden (maybe huge scarecrow to be
lit up at night).
               Provide proper signage
               Maintain turf area
               Install electricity
               Provide regular garbage pickup
               Prep soil area, adding composted amendments prior to moving
               Relocate the existing garden materials to new facility
               Provide regular police patrols
               Provide parking lot (gravel at first)
               Provide proper night time lighting (parking lot, entryway)
               Provide composted mulch as needed
               Till up garden in spring/fall (as required)
               99 year lease agreement (Yes, Yes, Yes site permanency)
               Provide the space to double the size of the existing garden

The above items are at no expense to CASA. CASA will operate the facility
(via volunteers).

It was told to me in this manner, "We want to create a community garden to
be used as a model for other cities to follow". I guess this will be a
"partnership" between a non-profit organization, CASA and the city.

Ok Adam H.  What do you think? Should we risk being evicted in a few years,
look for a better location/deal or take them up on this offer?

Our CASA Board of Directors has to make the final decision.

                  I must have died and gone to heaven,  Jim Call, Volunteer
CASA Garden Director
                                                        www.casagarden.com